Castello di Verrazzano
The Castle of Verrazzano is located on a hilltop overlooking the Greve valley in the Chianti Classico area near Florence. The impressive Tuscan sprawl became the property of the Verrazzano family in the 7th century.
This Italian family is also tied to American history, as Giovanni da Verrazzano discovered the New York harbor in 1524. There is a statue of Giovanni in Battery Park, and the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge, the famous suspension bridge that spans New York Harbor, connecting Brooklyn and Staten Island was named after Giovanni da Verrazzano.
More recently, in 1958, the Cappellini family took over and restored the Castle. Now owned and operated by Luigi Giovanni Cappellini, the Castle of Verrazzano is one of the most renowned wineries in the area.